Common ulcer medications that may cause alopecia (hair loss) are: cimetidine (Tagamet), ranitidine (Zantac), and famotidine (Pepcid). Common anticoagulants (blood thinners) that cause hair loss are: warfarin, coumarin, and heparin.
How common is hair loss with famotidine?
Research has shown that hair loss from taking Pepcid is extremely uncommon but has been reported in cases when taken for an extended period. Those who stop taking medication that causes hair loss usually see an improvement in their hair within six months.
Can acid reducers cause hair loss?
7) Antacid — cimetidine
Cimetidine (Tagamet) is an over-the-counter acid reducer used for GERD and acid reflux. Hair loss has been reported (though infrequently) in people taking it.
What medications can cause hair loss?
Many different types of drugs are thought to cause hair loss, including:
- Acne medications containing vitamin A (retinoids)
- Antibiotics and antifungal drugs.
- Birth control pills.
- Anticlotting drugs.
- Cholesterol-lowering drugs.
- Drugs that suppress the immune system.
What are the side effects of famotidine?
- blistering, peeling, or loosening of the skin.
- blood in the urine or stools.
- bloody, black, or tarry stools.
- difficulty breathing.
- fast, irregular, pounding, or racing heartbeat or pulse.
- feeling sad or empty.
Will hair loss from medication grow back?
In most cases, medications lead to temporary hair loss, and your hair will grow back once you adjust the dose or stop taking the medication. In other cases, however, medications can cause you to develop male or female pattern baldness, leading to permanent hair loss.
What is the best vitamin for hair loss?
The 5 Best Vitamins for Hair Loss Prevention, Based on Research
- Biotin. Biotin (vitamin B7) is important for cells inside your body. …
- Iron. Red blood cells need iron to carry oxygen. …
- Vitamin C. Vitamin C is essential for your gut to absorb iron. …
- Vitamin D. You might already know that vitamin D is important for bones. …
How do you cure GERD permanently?
During a procedure known as a Nissen fundoplication, your surgeon wraps the upper part of your stomach around the lower esophagus. This enhances the anti-reflux barrier and can provide permanent relief from reflux.
How do you reverse thinning hair?
Finasteride and minoxidil, used in combination, are considered more effective at reversing certain kinds of balding than either one alone.
- Take finasteride. …
- Use minoxidil. …
- Use an LLLT device. …
- Get enough of these vitamins and minerals. …
- Try DHT-blocking shampoo. …
- Get PRP treatment.