Traction alopecia is reversible, but you need to treat it quickly. If you stop wearing your hair in the tight hairstyle that caused it, your hair will grow back normally. But if you continue styling your hair the same way, the hair loss can be permanent.
How long does it take traction alopecia to grow back?
Traction alopecia is often resolved within six months if it is caught and treated early. In severe cases, it can take as long as one year for a damaged scalp to regrow hair.
How can I reverse traction alopecia naturally?
Here are some steps to treat this condition:
- Avoid tight hairstyles if possible. …
- Avoid or limit chemicals, including relaxers. …
- Change hairstyles every few weeks to prevent strain on one area of the scalp.
- Try hair growth products. …
- Use anti-inflammatories.
What are the first signs of traction alopecia?
In addition to hair loss, traction alopecia can cause these symptoms:
- redness of the scalp.
- soreness or stinging of your scalp.
- folliculitis (inflammation of the hair follicles)
- pus-filled blisters on your scalp.
Can dead follicles regrow?
When your hair follicles are dead, they do not regrow hair. You can inspect your scalp and look for signs of hair growth. Even if you only see thin hair patches or fuzzy texture, your hair follicles are still alive and will continue to renew themselves.
Which alopecia is permanent?
Cicatricial alopecia .
It involves inflammation that destroys hair follicles. The destroyed follicles get replaced by scar tissue, resulting in permanent hair loss in the area.
Can castor oil help traction alopecia?
Gemma Moodie, resident afro hairstylist at Neville Hair and Beauty, agrees and suggests that the key to encouraging any kind of growth is to gently massage the problem areas with rosemary oil or Jamaican castor oil. “When blood flow to the follicle is stimulated, this then encourages regrowth,” she says.
How can I make my bald spot grow back faster?
Take a look.
- Eat foods that revitalizes natural hair growth. …
- Oil your hair. …
- Apply onion juice on your hair. …
- Use green tea. …
- Importance of Vitamin D. …
- Do not comb your hair when it’s wet. …
- Use shampoo with licorice.
How do you stop traction alopecia?
What can I do to prevent traction alopecia?
- Wear low to moderate risk hairstyles. …
- Change your hairstyle more often.
- Take breaks between artificial hair use.
- Make sure braids, cornrows, or weaves are not too tight. …
- Wear loose braids around the hairline especially.
- Get thick braids or dreadlocks rather than thin ones.
How can I grow my edges back from traction alopecia?
How To Grow My Edges Back From Traction Alopecia (Complete Guide)
- Doctor-prescribed medication.
- Scalp massage.
- Use nourishing oils to promote faster growth. …
- Do a DIY deep conditioning session.
- Maintain a healthy, balanced diet.
- Take supplements for extra hair vitamins.
- Use onion juice.
- Have a better wash day routine.